Thursday, October 11, 2007

the Elisha Winn Fair

So, we've got a little bit of history right in our own backyard. Well, pretty close to our own backyard. Last weekend, we went to the Eisha Winn Fair in Dacula with some friends. As I am typing this and thinking about what I might say that is of historical interest, I realize that I have no idea who Elisha Winn is or what he may have done. I am fairly certain that he is one of the "founding fathers" of the Methodist campground in Lawrenceville, but that's about all I know. That and the fact that his family lived in a big white house that sits on Dacula Road next to the Apalachee Farms neighborhoods.
Here are Harry and Quinnie at the fair...

The fair was fun, I guess. We toured the big white house, saw some men dressed up like Confederate soliders, toured a one-room schoolhouse, had our pictures taken with a "jailbird," and set the kids in front of a large teepee. I don't know much about history, but I'm not sure there would have been a teepee in Mr. Winn's backyard. Just a hunch. Oh yeah--we also got to hear the "Little Miss Dacula" contestants sing their favorite country songs. Nice. If this baby turns out to be a girl, please slap me if I ever enter her in the "Little Miss Dacula" pageant. What am I going to do with a girl?!?!? I can't brush my own hair, let alone someone else's!


E, balloon, Harris, baby, Quinn, and the teepee

Anyway, the fair was pretty much our most recent form of excitement. I think there's something happening in downtown Auburn in the next couple of weeks, so we'll try to hit that up, too. Until then, know that posts may be few and far between. James is serving on a federal jury in Atlanta, so Harry and I are on our own for most of the evening. We're having a lot of fun, but I'm wiped out by the time he's in the bed. I love that little guy.
(I think this why Woody is obese.)

1 comment:

KatieMGreen said...

Yeah!!!!! I figured out how to comment.

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!

I can't wait for Bella and little Miss Teague can hang out!!

Now that I can comment, watch out, I'm a stalker of your blog!!