Saturday, August 25, 2007

Movin' On Up...

Okay...I don't even know where to start.

Harris got new shoes last Sunday. Not that he can walk yet, but at least his little feet will be protected as soon as he takes his first steps. Mom and I took him to Stride Rite because they have that sign out front that says they "custom fit" babies' feet and all that jazz...yeah, they just stuck his little foot on one of those foot-measuring things (the same thing they used on my foot last time I got sized for shoes, which was like a decade ag0) and declared him a 4 1/2 wide (although his foot is a lot more fat than it is wide), and that was it. And then I almost had a heart attack when I picked up a cute shoe and saw the $48 price tag on the heel...seriously, even if Mom's buying, that's a little pricey for a shoe he'll outgrow in four months. So, we left. And went to JC Penny. And bought two pairs for the price of one at Stride Rite...and one of them is a Stride Rite brand shoe. The others are Nikes. And they're both really cute. Unfortunately, we put a pair on him the other day and after about 10 minutes, the poor kid looked like he'd taken a bath. He obviously got his sweat genes from me.

So then on Monday, Pop (aka Dad, aka Ronnie) came and took me, James, Harris, Cassidy, Jay, and Cody to Macaroni Grill for a birthday celebration. Now, this would be perfectly reasonable considering my birthday was Thursday, except for the fact that we were celebrating not only my birthday, but also Cassidy's (which was in February), Cody's (which, of course, was in July), and I guess Jay's,too (which is also in July, but I don't think Dad knows that). Anyway, it was a very nice meal, minus the fact that Dad told the waitress her breath didn't smell so great. I didn't exactly hear what was said, but I know that when I turned to face them, Dad was whispering and she was popping a mint in her mouth. Now, this may be my Dad's way of flirting...or maybe he really is socially inept...but it was at this point when James made sure to clarify that the rest of us didn't notice her breath at all, so she needed to make sure she knew which entree was Dad's before she spit. I unfortunately left my camera at home, so all pictures of the fam in front of Macaroni Grill were taken on Cassidy's.

But the best outing of all was tonight. James and I were bored, so we decided to take Harris to Chuck E. Cheese. Have you been to that place lately? We were there for about ten minutes and I think Harris left with ADD. Seriously, it was crazy. And all Harry could do was stare. At everything. The good news is that they had a very small toddler area with some rides geared toward little kids...and all rides/games/etc. only cost one token, so for a buck Harris got to ride four things. Actually, he rode the Barney truck twice. I'm not sure he knew what was going on. I don't think he knows who Barney is, either, because he was not taking his eyes off that dinosaur. We bathed him in Purell upon leaving. That place is insanity.

And so there are the highlights of my week.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

This is cracking me up. The Macaroni Grill is where my Aunt - upon hearing that the server was Indian (as in India-Indian) got very excited and replied that "Oh! Deanna's husband is part Indian!!" as though his Cherokee roots might give them something in common to talk about. Oops.

Also - we get Stride Rite shoes in the $26 range at the store at Discover Mills... I don't know how that compares to Penneys...